S: Slow Down
As I get closer to the end of the alphabet and this abecedary journey, I am reminding myself of the power and importance of slowing down. While I had a list of possible “s” words ready for this post awhile ago (share, strength, success, systems), the idea of slowing down is most important to me at this moment of reflection.
There is never enough time. We all have the same 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, and 7 days in a week. What we choose to do within those minutes, hours, and days is what counts in the long run. And sometimes the best thing I can do with my time is slow down and reflect on where I’ve been and where I want to go next.
On a recent hiking trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah (with two of my loyal blog readers & relatives!), I had the opportunity to slow down. We were hiking every day (and reaching 25,000 steps a day!) and it felt like we were moving all the time. However, out in nature, without the daily stresses of work, school, and life, my mind was able to slow down. It is rare that my mind’s warp speed (similar to my speech speed!) decelerates. Not only was I able to recognize this rare feeling, but I was able to reflect on the benefits.
- My back pain was surprisingly non-existent throughout our entire trip.
- I slept better than usual (I must attribute this more to the physical work I was doing than the mental reflections!).
- My daily allergy cough was not its usual bother.
- I had an amazing time, in both the beautiful weather of Zion and the snow, hail, and 32 degree weather that surprised us in Bryce!
Now if only I could build in vacations more often… 😉 For now, I will add reminders in my calendar to “slow down” as I do to “reflect”.
Reflective questions to consider:
- How do you slow down?
- What do you notice about yourself when you are able to slow down?
- How do you quiet your mind to help with deeper reflection?
Abecedary of Reflection
- Thinking in Numbers
- The ABC’s of Education
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Zest
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Young Again
- [Abecedary of Reflection] X Marks the Spot
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Walking
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Voice
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Unwritten & Unspoken
- [Abecedary of Reflection] Think Time